User Experience Consultant • AEP
May 2017 – present • Columbus, OH
- Talking to users of internal systems and learning about their values, preferences, needs, goals, obstacles, workarounds, inputs and outputs.
- Describing–with sketches, wireframes, diagrams, and words–new internal systems and subsystems that afford users a minimally stressful and maximally productive way to get their work done.
- Iteratively evaluating internal systems and subsystems to find out how well they support users’ work and lives, and how the systems can be improved with that goal in mind.
- Using clear communication and thoughtful interaction to be an active driver of my project teams’ processes and benchmarks.
Human Factors Associate • Pomiet, LLC
Oct 2013 – Feb 2017 • Miamisburg, OH
Responsibilities (user, generative, and evaluative research):
- Generated research goals and hypotheses and designed research projects to test those hypotheses
- Recruited, screened, and managed pools of research participants as well as scheduled participants within research projects
- Coordinated and moderated research projects including ethnographic and user research (e.g. contextual inquiries, interviews, task analysis, and surveys) and design testing (e.g. formal and casual/”guerilla” usability testing, timing studies, heuristic evaluations, and design feedback sessions) to identify user needs and goals
- Evaluated and reported research data
- Delivered design recommendations based on research outcomes to software developers and the human factors team, and delivered internal and external white papers and presentations to showcase research methods and outcomes
- Modeled tasks and workflows
- Created wireframes, prototypes and personas based on user research, domain research, and best practices–sometimes on my own and sometimes rapidly iterating on designs with others on my team
- Provided direction and collaborative feedback to visual and graphic designers
- Built and maintained project taxonomies to govern content and communication
- Collaborated with supervisors to shape the human factors enterprise within an iterative development environment
- Presented or published internally on (e.g.) accessibility, comparative analyses, and project-specific design standards
- Was the “local expert” on ADA/§508/accessibility standards and checked designs for compliance with those standards
Video Producer • QuantaEd, LLC
Dec 2012 – Nov 2013 • San Diego, CA
Produced e-learning videos for organizational development. Wrote scripts; coordinated talent; recorded, animated, and edited videos. Dreamed up streamlined workflows to maximize video quality and throughput. Constructed animations to simplify and explain complex subjects to cross-functional audiences.
Editor/VFX artist • Freelance
Nov 2006 – Jan 2013 • Ohio region (2006-2011); Los Angeles, CA (2011-2013)
Edited and created digital visual effects for films, advertisements, and music videos. Tailored content to specific audiences. Forged valuable business relationships. Stunned clients with beautiful visuals and perfectly cut footage.
Wireframing and Prototyping:
- After Effects
Research and Data Management:
- R Studio
Intentional and Responsible: Incorporating Social Values into a Design Process
Accepted into IEEE Ethics Symposium, Vancouver BC; 2016. (Did not attend.)
Testing a New Process Model
UXDayton, OH; 2016.
Righteous Tech: Designing Responsibly for People and Society
Motorluxodonta: Reflections on Midwest UX 2015
IxDA, Cincinnati OH; 2015. [Video]
Embrace Your Complexity–and No One Else’s
Dayton Clean Coders, OH; 2014.
UC San Diego Certificate: Interaction Design • 2017
Wright State University BFA: Motion Picture Production • 2009